AM Report for Thomas Wana

Hi

Report for new developer applicant Thomas Wana <thomas@wana.at>:

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------

   Check with Keyid 0x8FC03128:

   ID Check passed, Key signed from 2 existing DD, Martin Würtele and
   Gerfried Fuchs.

   Output from keycheck.sh 0x8FC03128

pub  1024D/8FC03128 2001-09-16 Thomas Wana <thomas@wana.at>
     Key fingerprint = 01FA 29EF 7F56 66A8 6596  C501 4322 5D69 8FC0 3128
sig!        8FC03128 2001-09-16   Thomas Wana <thomas@wana.at>
sig!3       3E8DCCC0 2003-06-09   Martin Würtele <martin@wuertele.net>
sig!3       16BD77C6 2003-06-12   Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@debian.org>
uid                            Thomas Wana <ICQ:9549886>
sig!        8FC03128 2001-09-16   Thomas Wana <thomas@wana.at>
sig!3       16BD77C6 2003-06-12   Gerfried Fuchs <alfie@debian.org>
sub  4096g/52AEFD51 2001-09-16
sig!        8FC03128 2001-09-16   Thomas Wana <thomas@wana.at>

Key is ok

   Applicant writes:
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
I'm a 22 years old student of computer sciences at the FH Wr. Neustadt
in Austria (that's kind of a bachelor's degree university). Before
that I finished a 5 years technical college for computer sciences
and business administration (HTL for the ones who know that *g*), so
I have been in business for 8 years already :-)

[...]

Technically I am a programmer, and I am especially interested in
security stuff, auditing source code, writing exploits and so on,
so I hope I can do something useful for the Debian Security Team.
Martin Michlmayr said they need people. I am a member of the security
group void.at, we are working on security tools and writing exploits for
security holes as we find them or hear of them (and we post them all
to bugtraq - really *g*) I also want to take care of further packages
as they cross my way.

My motivation to spend my time for free software is that it brings
the power back to the engineers where it belongs to. We don't act
because of financial interests, we act because we love the technology.
Big companies like Microsoft have to grow or else they will die,
so they grow no matter what, and that's a bad thing. They have the
need to control everything, so they (and other companies of course)
introduce things like TCPA, software patents and let's-see-what-they-
will-come-up-with-in-the-future, which cuts away the freedom to
access the technology and use it for whatever you want.

They often say free software ruins the software industry because we
give away software for free. Well, it really seems that you can't
make the big buck with OSes these days :-) but you can certainly earn
money by providing support, by writing documentation, by writing
customized software for other companies. There is so much to do, but
business models will change, that's for sure. I recognize that a
healthy economy is crucial for a working community.

I honestly think that free software is very very important for our
branch. It should remain free.
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

2. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Thomas has a good understanding of Debians Philosophy and
   Procedures. He answered all my Questions about Social Contract,
   DFSG, BTS etc. in a good way.

3. Tasks and Skills
-------------------
   Thomas is Maintainer of scponly, Package in Debian. I found some
   things to fix which he did promptly and good.
   He also answered my other Questions regarding T&S  without problems.

4. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept him as a Debian Developer.
   Account:  greuff
   Forward-Email: thomas@wana.at

--
bye Joerg