Re: Reforming the NM process

On Tue, 2006-04-11 at 21:37 +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Also FrontDesk could skip reading the reports. Or only read them from
> new AMs, to give them tips when they made mistakes.
> (And of course be there if they have questions, lala).
>
> > 1.2.3 Drop Front Desk/merge with DAM
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > The opinion that the FD check of reports is not needed has been
> > presented more than once. Assuming this would be a real possibility, it
> > would leave the problems not related to the DAM/FD unfixed.
>
> As if it is only reading reports what Frontdesk is doing.
> No, dropping Frontdesk would be bad. FD is doing a lot of work syncing
> the AMs with the NMs, that should not be kicked to others. People saying
> FD could be dropped just dont know the process.

Or they didn't make themselves not clear enough :) What I mean when I've
suggested such a thing, I mean that the function of FD where it checks
all reports before they get to the DAM could be merged. Seems a bit like
what you write above.

You're right that the other functions are also important. The front desk
should be what it name implies: a point of contact about the process for
everyone; not an additional check required on every application. IMHO.

> For the rest - splitting the rights is a problematic task. Where do you
> define who gets what rights? Right now it is: Do actual work (mostly
> packaging, some few doc-people) for Debian, do the whole NM, be a
> full-featured DD. If you want to change that where to draw the line? Who
> gets that wanted @debian.org? Who can vote? Etc.

I'm not really sure that it is such a problematic issue. What I read in
Marc's text, and a setup I'd appreciate, is that essentially the answer
to the question you pose stays the same: you get those rights when you
pass the whole process.

What does change is when and what you can upload. There's a
formalisation of the current sponsoring process where people can acquire
limited uploading rights. And it should be just that: uploading rights.
Or committing-into-documentation rights.

So the current definition of DD with voting, e-mail does not change;
there's only a new category added. I'm quite sure that the line between
those can be clear.

Thijs