AM Report for Nathanael Nerode

Report for new developer applicant Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com>.

1. Identification & Background
------------------------------
Check with key ID 2E259082:

ID Check passed, key signed by developer Daniel Martin.

Output for keycheck.sh 2E259082

pub  1024D/2E259082 2004-02-25 Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
     Key fingerprint = 0061 C04B 91B8 D7B0 C0DB  4F85 4466 7468 2E25 9082
sig!3       2E259082 2004-10-08   Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
sig!3       2E259082 2004-02-25   Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
sig!3       49202B37 2004-04-18   Daniel Martin <fizbin@debian.org>
uid                            Nathanael Nerode <neroden@fetchmail.fm>
sig!3       2E259082 2004-10-08   Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
sig!3       2E259082 2004-08-13   Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
uid                            Nathanael Nerode (gcc work) <neroden@gcc.gnu.org>
sig!3       2E259082 2004-10-08   Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
sig!3       2E259082 2004-02-25   Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>
sig!3       49202B37 2004-04-18   Daniel Martin <fizbin@debian.org>
sub  2048g/585F3D0A 2004-02-25 [expires: 2009-02-23]
sig!        2E259082 2004-02-25   Nathanael Nerode (master) <neroden@twcny.rr.com>

Nathanael Nerode writes:

  | Finally, please tell me about yourself
  Private investor, male, 28, inveterate programmer.  I've been a
  maintainer for GCC for a few years, mostly doing what I think of as
  janitorial work.

  | and what you intend to do for
  | Debian
  * QA.  I have already done a fair amount of tracking down unmaintained
  packages, devising patches, and tracking down difficult bugs.  The
  ability to occasionally NMU would certainly help with this.
  * Occassional release management assistance.  (I was doing such a while
  back)
  * "Sanitizing" packages.  A number of packages unfortunately need coding
  work to be fully free without losing serious functionality (*cough* the
  kernel *cough*), and I have done some of this and will do more.
  Probably packaging and maintaining related broken-out material, if it is
  distributable.
  * Help in tracking down bugs and determining solutions.  See for
  instance bug #241497.  I might be able to do this on architectures other
  than i386 if I were a DD.
  * Miscellaneous cleanup work.  For instance, the work on auditing out
  the X-Windows patches mess.
  * Work on debian-legal.
  * Trying to solve whatever other problems strike my programming fancy.

  | (and how this fits in with The Social Contract), how you came to
  | Linux and free software,
  Came to Linux because I wanted an OS which worked.  :-P
  Came to Debian because it was shown to me.
  Came to use free software because I realised that almost all proprietary
  software broke, and if free software broke, I could *fix* it.  Concluded
  that free software was better for philosophical reasons.
  Came to program with free software because it was an outlet for my
  unstoppable programming urge.
  Came to apply for Debian Developer status because
  (1) people began to ask me why I *wasn't* -- and even to say that my not
  applying was indicative of some sort of lack of commitment
  (2) wanted membership and voting rights in a community I was already
  doing a lot for
  (3) could get somewhat more done

  | and why you want to volunteer your time.
  I use Debian as my primary system.  I like to make it work.

  Regarding time, I have a deeply irregular schedule, so I may be able to
  spend a great deal of time for a few weeks and then none at all for a
  few weeks.

  If I do go away for a significant period I will make an effort to offer
  any project I am "in charge" of to other people for maintenance.  I
  expect that any package which requires intensive maintenance would be
  unsuitable for me to be a sole maintainer of; if I find myself with such
  an item, I will get co-maintainers.
  [...]

2. Philosophy and Procedures
----------------------------
Nathanael has a broad understanding of Debian's philosophy and
procedures.  He provided acceptable answers to all my questions about
the Social Contract, DFSG, and other Debianisms.

3. Tasks and Skills
Nathanael does not currently maintain any packages at the moment.  He
does, however, perform a variety of QA work, including GNOME 1 removal,
assistance with C++ and other transitions, legal issues, and much more.

Nathanael also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems.

4. Recommendation
I recommend Nathanael as a Debian developer.
Account: neroden
Forward-Email: neroden@fastmail.fm