Re: A small Debian-NP detail

Interesting on all counts. We have messed with k12ltsp and had issues with sound. That is sort of a BIG issue in a ctc as you say.

John

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
On Wednesday 26 May 2004 09:20 pm, Holmes Wilson wrote:

Hi John,

The ball is still just getting rolling, so we haven't put all the
information up there yet about our experiences, and we didn't really
have the people to put together learning materials.  I got really busy
with other projects, and a few other people left town.  But, the lab
has been a pretty successful after school drop-in program for local
kids, many of whom don't have computers and most of whom don't have
internet access.  So that's pretty positive.

The thing I've been most impressed with by LTSP/Debian has been the
stability.  We have a bunch of young kids in there 4 days a week for a
few hours clicking on pop-up ads, messing around with the settings, and
generally beating the crap out of the computers.  But in almost a year
we've done practically no maintenance, and everything still works fine.
 If we had Windows PCs we'd need to do a clean re-install every two
weeks or the computers would be completely unusable.  That's the one
thing that makes me really confident in recommending linux for
nonprofit labs: the reliability.

I'd say the biggest downsides are:

1) really crummy cut and paste functionality between Mozilla and
Openoffice.
This is a killer, and it was really surprising how big a deal it was.
First, you can't copy images from Mozilla into openoffice-- you have to
save the files to disk and then "Insert an Image".  All the little kids
got a crash course in how directory trees worked each time they wanted
to put a picture in their report.   Second, when you copy a big section
of text it tries to paste it into openoffice.org as html, which throws
ooo into its completely-inscrutable html editing mode.  It would be
better if it just pasted plain text.  And we'd do this all the time
because in order to save paper we really wanted people to paste images
and text into documents, so they'd print out more efficiently (no 20
page printouts with 30 pt text).  But quite often it simply wouldn't
work, or it would have to be fiddled with.  I've even tried this with
the latest versions in Fedora Core 2, and it still doesn't work.   That
made me want to switch to Konqueror and KWord, but the version of
Konqueror for Debian stable really sucks.

I'm running Debian testing with KDE 3.2.2 and was able to drag and drop an image from Konqueror into OpenOffice.

2) no local CD/floppy support.
I know they have this working, I just couldn't figure it out.
Hopefully it will come out of the box in newer versions

3) Clicking on a program multiple times opens multiple instances of it.
This is a terrible thing for beginners, especially on underpowered
hardware.  There should be some global switch that allows you to shut
it off, or at least to make it impossible to launch the same
application twice within 30 seconds.  We have a hack that does this for
Mozilla, but it should come out of the box.

4) no local sound support.
We got it working on one computer, but it was really tricky and had to
be manually configured each time.  Also, lots of old computers have ISA
soundcards that linux rarely autodetects.

My general issue with Debian is that it's too slow to incorporate new
stuff.  This makes sense for people running servers where everything is
already more or less good enough.  But for Desktop users linux is *not
good enough yet* and so it's really important to get the newest
versions of everything onto peoples' computers quickly.  It seems like
Fedora Core is going to be pretty good at getting out the new stuff.  I
think we'll be switching to K12LTSP.org with FC 2 when it comes out.

I think if you want desktop functionality, you probably will have to run Debian testing. I don't know about Gnome, but the time between a new KDE point release and the time it hits testing is very short.

Don't let the "testing" label scare you: I've been running testing and KDE 3.2 every day all day for a couple weeks and have not had a single problem.

Plus, I just checked out your organization's website.  It looks
awesome.  Myself and some friends are really interested in putting
together a compendium of tech tools and resources for nonprofits and
activist groups.

Holmes