Re: findlib: it's time to decide!

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 06:47:44PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> Dear debian-ocamlers,
>   findlib 0.7 is out and we have had a lot of time to mumble about where
> to put the damned shared objects.

:)))

> I'm going to package findlib 0.7 ASAP and I really would like to know
> where we like to put shared objects. I've already said my opinion [1] as
> others of you, but none has come from the OCaml development team.
>
> If noone object I would go for the 'libexec' way.

Well, are we speaking about the same thing ?

It means, you will put all dll.so into /usr/lib/ocaml/shlibs and all non
packaged dll.so into /usr/local/lib/ocaml/shlibs, (well or another name
instead of shlibs), right ?

I am ok with it, but am rather busy.

We will keep the ocaml-ldconf tool around for the time being, isn't it ?
Then i will try to do a new ocaml package this week which takes this
into acount, and you can upload the findlib package then (and have it
depend on the version of ocaml i will upload or later ?).

In the meantime, would you volunteer to ask the caml-list and the caml
team on this subject, and that we with them standardize on a common name
(libexec, shlibs, whatever, maybe stub-shlibs would be the correct
name), if not, i will try to do it.

As for the standardize on using findlib for install, i think it is too
early, if needed. I agree that everyone third installing third party
libs should use findlib, but this is not something we can enforce, as
for the packaged stuff, i think we should let the decision for upstream,
but then, if you feel like patching all the lib packages and do NMu,
then ok by me, just be damn sure you don't break things by it.

Basically, i think we should have a scheme of things that will enable
us to do a gradual transition, don't you agree ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther