Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:41:43 +0100
From: Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it>
To: caml-bugs@caml.inria.fr
Subject: missing caml_curry8 during linking while using -pack && .cmxa

To produce the bug I've used Gerd Stoplmann's Shell module, but I'm able
to reproduce the bug also with other packages which are not part of the
ocaml distribution, actually all other external modules I've tried
manifest this behaviour.

Shell module is available at http://www.ocaml-programming.de/

(*** File: a.ml ***)
  ignore (Shell.command);; (* just to use an external findlib module *)
  let foo () = prerr_endline "Hello, world!";;
(*** END ***)

(*** File: test.ml ***)
  B.A.foo ();;
(*** END ***)

   $ ocamlopt -I +shell -c a.ml
   File "a.ml", line 1, characters 8-21:
   Warning: this function application is partial,
   maybe some arguments are missing.

   $ ocamlopt -pack -o b.cmx a.cmx

   $ ocamlopt -o b.cmxa -a b.cmx

   $ ocamlopt -I +shell str.cmxa unix.cmxa shell.cmxa b.cmxa test.ml
   /usr/lib/ocaml/shell/shell.a(shell_sys.o)(.data+0x144): In function `Shell_sys__2':
   : undefined reference to `caml_curry8'
   collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   Error during linking

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli  -  undergraduate student of CS @ Uni. Bologna, Italy
   zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro

> To produce the bug I've used Gerd Stoplmann's Shell module, but I'm
> able
> to reproduce the bug also with other packages which are not part of
> the                                                    > ocaml
> distribution, actually all other external modules I've tried
> > manifest this behaviour.

I ran your test case exactly as provided, but the error you mention
did not appear, with OCaml 3.06 nor with the development version.

- Xavier Leroy

----- End forwarded message -----