Re: [bugreport] lablgtk un{st,us}able

Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> writes:

> I'm a bit puzzled about the behaviour of lablgtk on debian/unstable, I'm
> using the latest 1.x lablgtk version (1.2.5-6+20021031).
>
> Even the simplest /usr/share/doc/liblablgtk-ocaml-dev/examples/hello.ml
> doesn't work (I've removed some blank lines from the a.out output
> between various Gtk/Glib messages to trim down this mail):

[...]

> libgtk1.2 version is 1.2.10-14.
>
> I'm able to reproduce the same behaviour on at least 3 debian/unstable
> and also on some woody boxes with my lablgtk rebuilt packages.

It's normal, those example need to be compiled with the init predicate:

moi@debian:/tmp$ ocamlfind ocamlc -predicates init -package lablgtk -linkpkg hello.ml
File "hello.ml", line 10, characters 2-98:
Warning: this expression should have type unit.
File "hello.ml", line 12, characters 2-44:
Warning: this expression should have type unit.
File "hello.ml", line 13, characters 2-74:
Warning: this expression should have type unit.
File "hello.ml", line 14, characters 2-49:
Warning: this expression should have type unit.
moi@debian:/tmp$ ./a.out
Hello World
moi@debian:/tmp$

why it is not the default ? because someone may want to have an
executable that some time initialize the gtk part, sometime don't.

Is this documented ? may be not, and may be it should be in a
readme.Debian :

something like :

This package have a support for ocamlfind and lablgtk. It use the
following predicate :
- init : initialize gtk. Otherwise you have to do it in your code
         before using any other lablgtk related function
- gnome : add the gnome support
- glade : add libglade

they can be used in any combination

--