Re: /usr/include/caml vanished from ocaml

On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 03:16:13PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>

> > because you want to do :
> >
> > #define <caml/mlvalues.h>
> >
> > Without having to add fancy -I flags.
> >
> > I think i understand you when you say that ocamlc and co should add this
> > flag by default, but not all ocaml stuff use ocamlc in those cases, many
> > call gcc directly.
>
>   Other linux distributions don't need to see -I flag and they
>   ship files in /usr/lib/ocaml/caml. This is also where the
>   ocaml tarball installs files (it can be /usr/local).
>   So, I'd like that we keep compatibility with other distributions.

The /usr/include/caml symlink is there only for convenience. I can
remove it if you feel like that, but /usr/include is the right place to
put include files (says policy and such).

>   Olivier Andrieu told me it is important to use ocamlc for
>   compiling C stubs because it uses the GCC that was used to
>   compile the ocaml compilers. So, there cannot be confusions
>   between C compilers.

Yes, if you use ocamlc, then there is no problem.

BTW, does this mean that the ocaml package should depend on the gcc it
was compiled with ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther