Re: About Cameleon

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 12:36:14PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So far, the cameleon package was using ocaml-source to build.
> After compiling ocaml 3.07 beta2, I don't think it is a good
> idea to keep on build the cameleon package that way: its need
> to build the ocaml compiler, and 3.07 takes much more time
> to build. I have no intend to convert cameleon to 3.07 as is.
>
> I have many choices:
> - including pieces of the ocaml compiler in the package
> - waiting for the new cameleon to be released
>
> Cheers,
>
> PS: going on holidays now!! :-)
>
> --
> Jérôme Marant

Hello,

I have take a look to cameleon on my last night of insomnia... Cameleon,
as it is actually shipped by the savannah site, does not include any
parts which requires to build against ocaml-source.

The caml source is required to build topcameleon and epeire. For epeire,
it is no shipped as a standalone package (
http://pauillac.inria.fr/~guesdon/Tools/Tars/epeire_camtop.tar.gz ).

In fact, i don't really know if it is standalone... I hope so ( but i am
not sure ).

I think we can keep this two things separated. I am pretty sure that
epeire ( the debugger ) can be build standalone, and camtop maybe
require some library from cameleon...

It will keep cameleon free of the compiler... And we have to deal with
the epeire_camtop problem...

It is only a move of the problem. But it will help us to be more clear
on the part depending on the compiler source...

Sorry for the only partial solution
Sylvain LE GALL

ps : without the ocaml source parts cameleon take 2min 25 sec to compile
on my Celeron1300MHz