Re: GODI and Debian?

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 12:58:15PM +0100, Matthieu Dubuget wrote:
> What can I do, as a Debian and Ocaml user, if I want to work with recent
> stuff on my Debian stable, without breaking everything?

The answer really depend on which Debian are you using. If you're using
unstable the out-of-dateness of ocaml usually do not apply. Packages lag
behing upstream just for a couple of week or so on the average.

If you're using stable/testing you have two choices. The first is to use
backports. Unfortunately they're quite of day right now, since manually
managing them is quite painful. I started working on a tool to ease (by
the mean of automation) backports hoping to not lag behind unstable, but
the development has stopped months ago. Lack of time, as usual. I hope
to work on it again soon.

The second choice is to keep watching our svn repository and manually
rebuilt packages from them (hand-make backporting basically). It is
fairly easy due to the way we manage ocaml version changes recently.

> An idea that comes to mind would be to use Godi, instead or beneath
> debian packages. Is it possible? And what would be the interaction
> between the two systems? Especially regarding standard (I mean not
> specific to ocam) packages like gtk?

You can use Godi to manage a completely separate installation of ocaml
under /usr/local (and that's easy of course). 0 interaction Godi-Debian
in that case. In theory, it would be even possible to use Godi for
adding packages to a Debian Ocaml setting, I tried to walk this way in
the past starting packaging Godi, but unfortunately I tried it when Godi
was swamped with incompatibility issues with the gcc compiler that we
had in Debian at that time and thus I gave up. The tricky parts of
course would be when you start having a package which is available both
as a Debian and as a Godi package .... I think noone investigated this.

You see, I gave you a few solutions, I hope at least to have given you
some answers :-)

Cheers.