Re: switching to `ocamlc -where` = /usr/lib/ocaml/

Hello Stefano,

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 14:21, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> - the user community is split as:
>  * mostly developer, which (quite understandably) always want to
>    develop against the latest OCaml

Or are stuck to the old version of OCaml available in Debian stable. ;-)

> Do you think I'm missing any important scenario which denotes the need
> of multiple OCaml versions at the same time?

No. I think you're right.

> Practically though, that would just mean having findlib configured to
> look under /usr/local/lib/<ABI>/,

Yes, keeping this behaviour seems essential to me.

> because OCaml by itself wont look
> anywhere else than under `ocamlc -where`, unless you provide -I. If
> you are aware of some other application which would require proper
> tuning to look under the right dir, please let us know.

Sometimes, I had to modify the build system of some unpackaged OCaml
libraries, mostly because they did not use findlib. I cannot give
names right now, though. But I don't think the proposed changed (if
/usr/local/lib/<ABI>/ is kept) would change anything.

Yours,
d.