Re: cmdliner 1.0.0 uses topkg for building

On 18 July 2017 at 10:42:51, Hendrik Tews (hendrik@askra.de) wrote:

> Preparing Debian packages would of course be much more straightforward, if topkg and
> topkg-care would not share the same source tarball ;-)

I am a bit curious on why this is the case exactly. What kind of difficulties does it specifically bring ?

In any case I suspect packaging topkg-care is not going to be useful as it is a tool to help with the bureaucracy of making and distributing releases and submitting them to the OCaml opam respository (see e.g. here [1] for a high-level description). Anyone who needs this will certainly be using opam where this can be easily installed. Packaging `topkg` itself should be easy as it has no dependency beyond ocaml, ocamlbuild and ocamlfind and should be generally useful as it became the dependency of quite a number of packages (~200 according to `opam list --depends-on topkg | wc -l`).

More generally. Always feel free to ping me in when you encounter difficulties packaging my software. Besides we are keen in general in hearing more about system packagers and their needs on the ocaml platform mailing list [2] or whichever medium you may find fitting, opam or OCaml opam repository issue tracker or discuss.opam.org or the ocaml mailing list.

A great deal of work and effort is being poured into opam and the OCaml opam repository. This includes careful metadata linting, continuous integration with revdep checking and specifying external dependencies on system packages via the depext field of opam files (see [3]). It would somehow be sad if all this work was not able to simplify the work of system packagers downstream by being able to semi-automate the creation of your packages via cuts in the package universe of the OCaml opam repository.

Best,

Daniel

[1] http://ocamllabs.io/projects/2017/02/23/topkg.html