Re: Desktop integration for distributions [was debian-openoffice Announcing OpenOffice.org 1.0.1]

Hi Kevin,

this is the view of a system administrator with some knowledge of
different systems.

Kevin B. Hendricks schrieb am Mittwoch, 17. Juli 2002 um 11:28:16 -0400:
> Let's think about the very basics for a second (go back to first
> principles) and see if there is some common ground we can use:
>
> 1. Where exactly under Linux should OpenOffice.org be installed? Are there
> official guidelines?  Is this /opt or /usr/bin or what?  Does this differ
> from distribution to distribution?
> What about other Unix (Solaris, FreeBSD, MacOSX, etc?

For most Unixes the common approach is to 'divide' software in three
sections:

1. system software (OS itself, and all related software, mostly software
   from OS-Vendor) which is installed in [/usr]/[s]bin.

2. Add-on Software, replacements, software compiled by the local admin
   is expected to be in /usr/local

3. Large Packages from other vendors, is expected to be in /opt
   i.e. kde/gnome, HP OpenView, Oracle, Tivoli Storage Manager, Lotus
   Domino ...  to name some of these beasts.

Depending on the system the interpretation what software fits in which
category differs.
I personally like the Debian-Way to say 'every package we distribute is
OS-Vendor-Software and _must_ go into section one.
But there are lots of other opinions :-)))

> 2. More specifically, where should all of the pieces of OpenOffice.org be
> installed?  Are there specific directories ... /usr/share/ and /etc/ ...
> that we could all agree on and what goes there.

IMHO there is no best solution. A better approach is to provide the
ability to enter specific paths at configure-time like many other
programs so. Have a default which installs ooo into /opt/OpenOffice.org
and leave the rest to the people.

> To help guide this discussion, could you tell me where you put the various
> pieces of OOo in your latest Debian versions (including workstation
> pieces)?  Perhaps someone from Mandrake could add their info as well.  I
> heard that OOo was part of the alpha RedHat releases as well.  Does anyone
> know where they are placing the pieces.
>
> 3. What additional pieces would augment or help OOo under Linux (and other
> Unixes)?
>
> - fonts - ghostscript urw fonts
> - any ttf free fonts around?
> - templates, HowTo's etc
>
> How / where  would these be installed?

the same way, install it into /opt, but provide the option to change
this.

> 4.  How does Debian currently handle localizations for languages?  it makes
> no sense for people to have to download a German build, an English build,
> etc.  People should be able to post install all localizations, shouldn't
> they?
>
> Pehaps we should be splitting installation approaches completely based on
> platforms, WIN users may expect something very simialr to what exists now.
> Mac OSX might want to use a similar graphical approach as well albeit
> looking differently, Linux may want to use dpkg, and rpm based approaches,
> and Solaris, Irix, etc may have different ideas.
This would be very nice. A graphical installer is suitable for a
Win-System or even a single-user unix installation. But for most
Unix-Administrators the common 3-Step-Way (configure, make, make
install) is very comfortable. And even usable if you have only access to
a non-graphical console.

--
Heute ist nicht alle Tage, ich komm' wieder, keine Frage!!!

   Joerg

BOFH excuse #137:

User was distributing pornography on server; system seized by FBI.