OO.o Impress crashes when altering slide design

Hi, I am using version 2.0.4 and as the subject says, when I open a
blank presentation and then choose 'slide design' and try to load the
blue/orange striped 'presentation background' Impress crashes, telling
me there was an unexpected error.  It also crashes if I try to choose
'subtle accents' instead.  I know this wasn't a problem in November,
because I was changing slide designs all the time when I made some
presentations that month.   I have tried creating a new user and
running as root.  Neither helped.  I have also purged and reinstalled
OO.o, and that didn't help.  Also, I have tried executing OO.o from a
konsole, in hopes that some kind of message would come up with the
crash, but there was nothing.  I purged OO.o and then installed JRE,
as per OO.o website using sun-java5-bin, fonts, jre and plugin.  Then
installed OO.o, but still, I get the crash when loading new
backgrounds.   What might I try to diagnose/fix this issue?  Is there
a way to get back to the version that was current as of November 06?
Thanks for your help.
Noah