Re: LibreOffice 4.0 should be able to import PDF files by default (without having to install any extension)

[ you know that this didn't result in a official, tracked bug report? ]

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 05:37:33PM +0200, thibaut bethune wrote:
> Package: libreoffice                                                          > Architecture: amd64                                                           > Version: 1:4.0.4-2

Thus this info isn't neded/honoured.
(And no, this is NOT a normal bug. It's a wish -> wishlist.)

> You can read from LibreOffice 4.0 Release Notes [1] :
> "Extensions
> PDF Import [...] are no longer bundled extensions but core features.
> (Stephan Bergmann)"
> (same for "the Presenter Console, and the Python Scripting Provider")

Correct.

> However I can't import PDF files with LibreOffice 4.0.4.
>
> I know that there is a libreoffice-pdfimport extension but people

No, there's not a "libreoffice-pdfimport extension", because as you said
it's not a extension anymore :). Yes, there's a extra package for it and that
is because pdfimport has a dependency on poppler which I don't want to
enforce on everyone. The current split has some thoughts in it.

Above you also mentioned the Presenter Console and the ython Scripting Provider.
The Presenter Console is in -impress now (I accepted that because
imho it always was important core functionality for me - the PDF Import
IMHO is _not_) and the python scripting provider (requiring a non-default
python per default!) is also a extra package not installed per default
(python*-uno is, not libreoffice-script-provider-python).

> expect LibreOffice to behave the same way accross operating systems.
>
> Therefore i think that LibreOffice 4.0 on Debian should follow the
> Release Notes and be able to import PDF files by default.

Consequently thought that means you also want forcing any other default thing
- like the script provider for bsh; which even requires stuff like bsh
installed? Because that's in upstreams default, too.. Want bsh installed
everywhere? Or librelogo? Or the SDK? Or the report-builder with it's
LOADS of Java library dependencies (which is "default" in 4.1+)? Or...

Adding the pdfimport stuff to some always-installed package (-core?) is
complete nonsense imho, but I could add -pdfimport to the metapackage
("libreoffice"). That at least won't force it on everyone...

I don't like that, though. I don't see a problem in it being a extra package;  the package  name is obvious and the package description also so that it's just
one apt-cache search away...

Regards,

Rene