Re: DebConf bursary deadline for GSoC/Outreachy?

Hello mentors,
Question for students in Asian countries: is US$500 sufficient for you to get the visa and fly to Taiwan?

I did a check on travel expenses from India to Taiwan, this is what I can estimate.
It will take around 530 - 580 USD for the flight from India(New Delhi or Banglore or Hyderabad) to Taiwan and return.
Visa fee for Taiwan is 50 USD.
I hope this will help to get a rough estimate.

Regards,
Nitish

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:11 AM, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:

On 04/04/18 18:37, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in replying to this. Comments inline.
>
> * Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> [2018-03-27 22:19:41 +0200]:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The deadline to apply for a DebConf travel and accommodation bursary is
>> 13 April
>>
>> That is before the official announcement about who participates in GSoC
>> and Outreachy.
>>
>> Has anybody looked into the procedure for students to apply?  Will the
>> bursary team give them an extended deadline?  Or should all the
>> candidates apply before 13 April?
>
> Does the Outreach Team have a program-specific budget to send interns to
> DebConf?

It has not been discussed

> [the following is not current information; I don't know the current
> information; it's up to current outreach team members to find the accurate
> information for this round]
> When I was last involved, the breakdown was like this:
>  - Each Outreachy intern would be able to get US$500 for conference travel, from
>    Conservancy (so, in the end, from the sponsoring organization).
>  - Each GSoC _organization_ would be able to get partial travel funding to send
>    _one_ outstanding intern to a conference (iirc the amount was US$500 as well).
>    This kind-of-prevents sending current interns to conferences: how can you tell
>    an intern is outstanding before their internship has completed?
>
> GSoC organizations would also recieve a discretionary US$500 per accepted
> intern, which we usually considered as part of a travel budget for GSoC interns
> _and mentors_.

Question for students in Asian countries: is US$500 sufficient for you
to get the visa and fly to Taiwan?

> Finally, GSoC organizations get a US$2200 budget to send two mentors to the
> mentor summit.
> [end outdated information]
>
> If the Outreach Team has a program-specific budget to send interns to DebConf,
> please let the DebConf bursaries team know and we can special-case handling
> your applicants to avoid double-funding.
>
> If the Outreach Team doesn't have a program-specific budget, or if the
> program-specific budget doesn't cover the full amount of the expenses for a
> given prospective intern, the rest of the amount could be covered through the
> usual DebConf bursaries process.
>
> Considering the acceptance announcement for GSoC is 23 April (and I expect
> Outreachy to be around that date as well), it is well within the DebConf
> bursaries review/ranking timeline. The Outreach Team should send us the list of
> accepted interns for this round and we will be able to factor the information
> in our rankings.

We probably need somebody from the Outreach team to volunteer to handle
all of that administration from end-to-end.  As it may be their first
time doing this, will anybody from the bursaries team be able to
collaborate with them on that?

>> Some candidates who do not get selected for GSoC or Outreachy might
>> still be selected for a diversity bursary or based on other
>> contributions to Debian so I generally think it is a good idea for
>> everybody who applied for GSoC or Outreachy to look at the application
>> form before 13 April:
>>
>> https://debconf18.debconf.org
>
> Regardless of GSoC/Outreachy status, yes, please have prospective interns
> register and ask for a bursary (at least for food and accommodation) within the
> DebConf-mandated deadlines (that is, before the 13th of April). It only takes a
> few minutes to register and you can edit your registration afterwards. There
> might be an extension (as we don't really have a budget yet), but I would
> really like to keep it short.

Reminder was sent to everybody.  I have the impression some people
are not around because of Easter vacations so maybe it will be a good
idea to do a final reminder on 9 or 10 April.

Regards,

Daniel