Re: GsoD: Contributor Profiling

> Guides on how to get started and helping with Debian, plus mentoring in
> this would be great,  I think in fact we could do with courses via
> e-mail and IRC that can help us develop the required skills,  so go from
> really basic -> advanced -> very advanced topics,  But also decide what
> is a core basic skill, I would think being able to use git and gitlab
> (salsa) at a basic level is important.

You are right for technical profiles. For other, I think this needs to
come somewhat later to encourage such persons to contribute without
technical skills, and such profiles have no idea about version managers
or such tools. Myself I translate without using git. And I am sure other
teams do not use Git or very basically. User support need not git.

I also know how getting resources to do courses is difficult in a
community such as Debian. Not enough contributors, often technical, etc.
That is why beyond this approach, I propose that the tool drive th
person through specific points of the doc. Because everything is quite
documented, but it is hard do know what is for me or where is exactly
what I need to know
> I can promote what we are doing and promote the fact we need help, what
> happens if someone expresses an interest?  there could do with being a
> pathway.

Exactly. What you say is what we experience on stands at FOSDEM or in
French events.

> What are expectations,. I am guessing with e-mail we are not meant to
> top post, but I see both to and bottom posting here, so not sure,   with
> IRC perhaps a basic run through in this would be good, scheduled and
> people who are interested can sign up.  Once people are familar with
> that we can start to teach and or mentor them.
>
> I would also guess with GSoD we need to find out what tools we are using
> for authoring, so maybe markdown and LaTeX courses and courses on
> docbook, perhaps using pandoc to convert.  Not sure what is needed.

Interesting indeed. Typicaly after more than 15 years in Debian, I
discovered the existence of a nm.debian.org to handle my status in
Debian in 2018. And I read a lot of doc in general about Debian. And I
am sur it is explained somewhere.

Regards