Re: perl-5.6-base should conflict with all perl packages that use alternatives

Another idea, if I may interject.

A problem that I have had, and others have had, is that apt-get requires
certain perl modules which must be loaded to handle certain things. Would
it be too much to have these in perl-<version>-base? That way, if install
problems do happen, and /usr/bin/perl gets overwritten with a new version,
then apt will function properly as well.

APT could still provide a version for it's own upgrades, to maintain
compatibility with it's own tree, but since perl is relied on so heavily
by the package management system this would be a good thing(tm).

Even better, perhaps these could be set as symlinks and perl could install
it's own, 'stable' version of them in one outside directory, and apt-get
could install it's own versions somewhere else, updating symlinks as
nessicary? Are these updated often enough to deem this nessicary?

I know this is a bit of an annoyance but it is the package management
system after all.

--
Erik Hollensbe <erik@powells.com>
Programmer, Powells Internet Division