Re: Packaging a CGI with modules?

Don Armstrong dijo [Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 02:33:27AM -0700]:
> > > Now, why /usr/share/koha? Because that way, you can also drop a config
> > > snippet under /etc/apache2/conf.d/koha (and/or possibly similar
> > > locations, if you like other webservers - or just documenting what's
> > > needed for that). I feel having CGIs under /usr/lib/cgi-bin is almost
> > > as dirty and 1995-ish as publishing them under
> > > http://www.my-site.org/cgi-bin/koha.pl - Just make them take
> > > http://www.my-site.org/koha or http://koha.my-site.com!
> >
> > Policy 11.5 - tells us where CGI scripts/programs should live.
> >
> > This does not mean that you have to use the application as
> > http://www.my-site.org/cgi-bin/koha.pl...
>
> Right, but it does make it rather difficult to have a specific set of
> CGI scripts served by one vhost and not by another.
>
> This is why it's a should directive, not must, and frankly, may well
> need to be revisted in the future.

Yes... Now that you point it out, this looks like a bit of policy that
can (and should) be updated. It does not mean the URL should be like
that, but... It makes no sense to have it that way.

Specially if you start talking about webapps that are _not_ cgi-bins
anymore - Think of anything that works from an application server
perspective (i.e. Zope, Rails, Embperl and other mod_perl-based apps,
and a long etc.) - They are libraries that can have quite intrincated
directory structures. Having them in /usr/lib/cgi-bin looked like a
nice idea a long time ago, maybe... But I don't think that's the case
anymore.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23