Re: Group logo

On Tue, 2008-01-07 at 16:42 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > versa).  They are happy for you to use the logo and only object to
> > alterations.  So juxtaposition is likely alright.
>
> Where does it say they are happy for us to use it like that?  Uses of
> debian include commercial uses (DFSG 6 OTTOMH) and they don't seem to

DFSG 6 refers to copyright, not trademarks (as far as I can tell):
http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

> give any permission for that.

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/perl/usage/

        We will license the camel image widely for open source products
        and non-commercial sites related to Perl, requiring only an
        acknowledgement of its trademark status and a link to
        www.perl.com.

Debian is "open source".  So it satisfies the conditions here, given
that in normal English, the interpretation of "and" in 'open source
_products_ and non-commercial _sites_' is disjunctive.  So you can use
the logo, with permission, and you can put the logo and the Debian swirl
on a page together.  How closely you can meld them would require
negotiation.

However, you would not be able to give end-users permission to use the
_logo_ commercially.  Presumably, Debian does not allow their logo to be
used for commercial purposes (unless there is no trademark on it).  You
can't use 'linux' as a trademark for commercial purposes but you can use
the linux kernel anyway you like.

--
--gh