Re: DEP5 to SPDX wrapper in perl

Hi Dominique,

On Sun, Mar 16, 2014 at 10:52:41AM +0100, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> On Sunday 09 March 2014 20:25:12 Jeremiah C. Foster wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone knows about a DEP5 to SPDX wrapper written in perl?
> > I'd like to be able to run such a tool on my Debian machine for
> > example and get output suitable for putting into FOSSology.
> >
> > If such a tool does not exist, and I
> > can't seem to find one though Google seems to give me some pointers to
> > some, somewhat older,
> > discussion around these two formats.
>
> I did discuss this with some people of SPDX team. The idea was to use config-
> model to perform the translation from one format to another. But nobody
> stepped forward to implement this.

For better or worse, the SPDX people seem to be Java and python
focused, though they do mention Go as a language they would like to
create a tool for. I think it is kind of the wrong way 'round to name
the language first before the use case, but I suppose that is another
discussion.

Since I've seen that you've already written tools to parse and read
DEP5 format, I wonder what your advice would be for me to use from
your selection of modules for the best code re-use. I imagine you have
a bit better view of the subject matter than I do. My first goal is to
parse a Debian Copyright file that is DEP5 compliant and the next step
would be to map the DEP5 entries to SPDX entries.

I understand that you may have moved on to other things, but a pointer
or two from you would be very valuable in any work I manage to do.

Many thanks!

Jeremiah