Re: libsereal-encoder-perl exclude s390x until it is fixed

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 12:38:40PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:08:33 +0200, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>
> > libsereal-encoder-perl FTBFS on s390x - see for details #742409.
>
> It also fails to build on other architectures:
> http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/package.php?p=libsereal-encoder-perl&suite=unstable
>
> At least (arm64 where it builds and) ppc64 might become release
> architectures for jessie.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but it currently looks like a 64-bit
big-endian problem (although #742409 discusses other issues too.)

The release architecture candidates for jessie are arm64 and ppc64el AFAIK
and it works on both.

> > Can I exclude s390x from architectures for libsereal-encoder-perl until the
> > problem is resolved ?

The problem preventing testing transition is out of date binaries from
an earlier version which built on s390x. Having those removed would
be enough AFAICS. Excluding architectures doesn't add anything if the
build fails consistently (as it seems to do); it just makes it harder
to notice and enable s390x again if the bug is ever fixed.

If it never worked on s390x properly and the FTBFS is because the test
suite was augmented to detect that, I suppose removing the old binaries is
OK. Otherwise the expectation would normally be that the maintainer fixes
the regression. I believe the decision is ultimately done by ftp-master.

>From <https://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals>:

  For example, assume that package foobar exists in both testing and
  unstable for s390 but it has been discovered that, despite building,
  the binaries do not work on that architecture. In order to get the
  binary package removed from testing, you need to ensure that it is no
  longer built in unstable (by e.g. uploading a new version that ftbfs on
  architectures which are not supported) and then ask the ftp-master team
  to remove the out-of-date s390 binary package from unstable. Once the
  package is otherwise ready to transition to testing, the s390 binary
  in testing will be automatically removed during the transition.

(If there are reverse dependencies, the s390x builds of those would
 need to be removed too.)
--
Niko Tyni   ntyni@debian.org