Re: Infra-red sync?

On 21 Jan 2001, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> The bit that has given me the most trouble is getting irmanager and the
> IR stack to work happily together. If you get that then the rest is a
> doddle.

Irmanager is no longer used for ircomm (I do not remember if its actually
used for anything anymrore). With recent kernels, you should uonly need to
do a irattach and begin using the ircomm device (discovery is run
automatically in order to find the machine to talk to).

The biggest pitfalls now include:
1. Compile IrDA as modules, it doesn't work built into the kernel.
2. Remember to identify your dongle - for FIR drivers, there's a dongle_id
   option you probably _have_ to set.
3. Use the right device numbers. The new ircomm/irlpt device nodes have
major number 161. Under debian you'll probably find them as ircommnew*.

Go ahead and use the IR-HOWTO. I have tested it using Ericsson phones and
Palm III machines. The Linux machine has a NSC chip with Temic transceiver
(dongle_id 9). Syncs have proceeded faultlessly even with friends actually
picking up the palm pilot while it was syncing.