can't sync to a palm vx

Hi!

Now owning a Palm Vx (PalmOS 3.5), I'm trying to figure out how to get
 it talking to my PC through the (serial) cradle.

I've found some software, but none seems to be able to talk to my
 device.

I have the settings et al ok AFAICT, but eg pilot-xfer:

:( waldner@fsck->~ $ pilot-xfer -p /dev/ttyS1 -l
   Port: /dev/ttyS1

   Please press the HotSync button now...
<ages and then the Palm timeouts>

Same with jpilot, pilot-manager...

The serial port seems to be fine, though, as I see chars coming down
 the line when I press the hotsync-button:

:) waldner@fsck->~ $ cat /dev/ttyS1
¾ïí¼ïíÿ¾ïíà¾ïíà¾ïíð¾ïí¾ïí?¾ïí?¾ïí¾ïíÿ¾ïíü¾ïíþ¾ïíü¾ïíü¾ïíð¾ïíà
<timeout on the Palm>

Any ideas/hints/FMs to R?

cheers+TIA,
&rw
--
-- "An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is."