Packages that require enormous amounts of source

Some packages, such as my package Checker, require enormous amounts of
source code that can be obtained elsewhere.  For instance, checker
needs the following files:

684366	Checker-0.8.tar.gz
5139402	binutils-2.8.1.tar.gz
7136085	gcc-2.7.2.3.tar.gz
82379	gdbm-1.7.3.tar.gz
602023	gettext-0.10.27.tar.gz
4013083	glibc-2.0.5c.tar.gz
28791	glibc-crypt-2.0.5.tar.gz
80387	glibc-linuxthreads-2.0.5.tar.gz
519066	glibc-localedata-2.0.5c.tar.gz
369832	gmp-2.0.2.tar.gz
1644088	libg++272_2.7.2.5.orig.tar.gz
1121466	ncurses-4.1.tar.gz
560670	readline-2.1.tar.gz
21981638	total

In my opinion, this is an unreasonable amount of source code to
include in a source package, since all the source code is available
elsewhere.  However, Debian policy requires *all* applicable source to
be included in a source package (right?), and a bug was recently filed
against Checker to this effect.

I think that Debian policy should be modified, in some way, to allow a
situation like this to exist and to specify some standard place that
the tarballs can be provided.  For instance, Checker expects the
tarballs in a directory called ../tarballs.

Comments?
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>
Senders of unsolicited commercial e-mail will receive free 32MB core files!