Re: Tutorial #2: using dpkg in user space

Mark Eichin <eichin@cygnus.com> writes:

> Clever -- but an amazing kludge :-)  Remember that it's ok for this to
> be hackish for "installing debian packages in user space" because
> that's simply a *rare* operation -- the whole point of debian packages
> is that they fit cleanly into a debian system.  However, I'd suggest
> that *most* of the times that a source package is installed at all, it
> will be installed in user space -- either by a user patching or just
> being curious about a particular package, or by a developer doing the
> next release.  We may disagree on this, but I think it is more an
> issue of "knowing the customer" than of philosophy.

OK - I have definitely gotten the message that dpkg is "hands off" when
it comes to using for  purposes other than what it was originally
intended for.

For my planned projects, I will look elsewhere for a facility which does
the same basic thing as dpkg - with the key difference being that
discussing "perverted" uses of it can happen in a more rational,
open-minded environment.

> It seems from your comments that you haven't walked through the
> complexity of building one of your src.deb packages -- say, from new
> upstream sources.  I do that often enough that I'd find it useful to
> have a dpkg-source --upgrade: something that takes an a .dsc and
> applies it to the "wrong" source tar file (probably explicitly listed
> on the command line.)  It could be clever in a number of ways (though
> that sounds more like a deb-make style heuristic) or it could just run
> patch and let you know where it failed.  (On the other hand, for some
> packages I often just try again with the pristine upstream sources
> *first* just to see if the debian patches are still needed...)

Again, with the proposed system, this is easy - just install an upgraded
src-orig-*.deb file.

I'm going to give this a rest.  It has been quite an informative
experience (although not quite what I expected).

Cheers,

 - Jim