Re: Forwarded: RFC: New source packaging format

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:
>
> > I've just repackaged hello using my new proposed source packaging
> > scheme which does away with dpkg-source and uses just dpkg and
> > standard .deb files instead.
>
> Oh no!  This sounds suspiciously like RedHat's method!  I don't like
> it one bit.  Here's why:
>
> 1) /usr has to be a read-write partition in order to compile programs.
>    /usr, by definition, should not have this requirement (for NFS
>    mounts and the like).
> 2) Users would have to have explicit write permissions to /usr/src to
>    compile things for themselves.
> 3) Unpacking to the current directory is messy.
> 4) Diffs are not distributed alongside, having some potentially
>    nasty implications wrt our free software standards.
> 5) Others cannot get our diffs or sources without installing dpkg.
>
> While I agree that the concept of a "make world" like FreeBSD has
> certainly is enticing, and source dependencies may be a good idea, I
> see no reason to ditch our nice current system for a system not
> designed to hold sources.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - I would just like to state
that my proposed method included alternative ways of doing everything
you listed.  I've tried to smother these objections with examples -- but
that doesn't seem to have had any effect on people's view of it.  I
accept this judgement.

I do plan on continuing development of the packaging format for use
primarily by my own projects (not Debian packages), but probably use it
with a different packaging service than dpkg.

Anyways, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

 - Jim