Re: New filesystem standard - do we want it ?

Santiago Vila Doncel wrote:

> Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
> > Yes, make this symlink (ln -s ../share/doc /usr/doc) on freshly
> > installed systems (where /usr/share/docs will really exist), while
> > make the opposite (ln -s ../../doc /usr/share/doc) on existing
> > systems (where /usr/doc is still there).
>
> Please, do not make any symlink.
>
> dpkg might get confused when removing a package if a directory
> uncompresses on a symlink-pointing-to-a-directory.

Hummm, if this is true then we have a problem with current "doc-linux"
standard, which installs a symlink to a directory.
I would like to hear Ian or Klee about this.

Anyway, the symlinks that I was talking about are installed by postinst
(should check which directory is present and symlinks to the other
location), so probably this is not a problem here.
The same applies to the removal (should check the database before
renaming the directory, to create a "pseudo-conflict" with any package
that still installs using the old path).

Fabrizio