Re: Configuration management, revision 3

Previously Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 1998 at 01:45:18AM +0200, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> > I was thinking about a language which seperates the two: first you
> > declare all variables you want to use and give each a priority. In the
> > next section you state dependencies between the variables and possibly
> > a decision process.
>
> Yes!  This is how it should be.

I just posted revision 5 of the design, which still uses normal scripts/
programs to drive to while thing. What I'ld like to do is try to find a
minimal set of requirements to describe the decision process. I think
we could use a DFA if we use a sufficiently powerfull syntax to describe
condititions for state changes. So we could let the output of a program
influence to decision for example.

Another thing which comes to mind is that this is really a dataflow-oriented
process, for which visual languages are very nice. Now if we could only
implement that we would have a system that rocks..

> Oh, and BTW, I think this scheme should be implemented so that it is
> not too Debian-specific.  I believe the whole GNU/Linux community
> should benefit from this, and if we are lucky, we might get people
> outside Debian to help in the maintenance, too.

The whole thing should not be Debian-specific, in the same way apt is
not Debian-specific.

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@wi.LeidenUniv.nl