Re: Start for a discussion about free documentation in Debian.

On 8 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	There are two nebuously related ideas in this message.
>
> 	I think I want to differentiate between the kinds of changes
>  that we are talking about here. If I write a standards document, I do
>  not want people subverting or otherwise modifying the contents (the
>  wrods that I wrote) -- at all. If they do, I want them to call it
>  something different. However, I could not care less if the converted
>  it from postscript to text to pdf or rendered tiff, as lon as someone
>  reading the document sees the same words in the same sequence.
>
>     (modification means chaging, deleting, or adding to the words and
>     images that make up the document, format conversion themselves do
>     not constitute a modification)
>
> 	Any license for documentation, and any policy that Debian
>  institutes, should differentiate between these kinds of changes.
>
> 	I personally think that it would be permissible to accept
>  any document, including a standard, which is distributable with the
>  following restrictions:
>  a) the document is distributed unmodified along with patch files,
>  b) The document is clearly marked as changed, and,
>  c) the document has a different name.
>
> 	I see that marcus agreed to all these while discussing the
>  dfsg.

Absolutely.  As far as I am concerned, that qualifies as modifiable.  As
you will see from my proposal (the informal one which predated Marcus's by
a day or two), I personally find any combination of those 3 requirements
(as determined by the author of the original) to be acceptably 'free'.

> 	However, there are things (like a magazine cover, or a
>  graphical novel, where layout and formatting are an integral part of
>  the document, and modifying or altering them would detrimentally
>  affect the document/piece of art.
>
> 	As far as Debian is concerned, we should bear in mind that we
>  could be looking at documents that go beyond mere software
>  documentation, and I would like to see tham in main as well.

I disagree.  They're not free.

> 	So, if someone creates a graphic novel, that tells a story,
>  and distributes it freely in pdf format; allowing no modification or
>  conversions away from pdf; why do we need to change anything? Why
>  would we try and modify it after the author is done?  Why should this
>  not be accepted in main? The modification clause may make sense for
>  compute programs, but for the wider domain of documents, I think it
>  may not make sense.

I personally believe that something like this is not free, and should not
be in main.  We are not in the business of distributing graphic novels,
after all.  Whilst I respect the wishes (and copyright) of any author, and
I fully understand that they might not want to allow modification to their
works, I do believe that the resulting work is non-free.  So we can put it
on our FTP site, but we should not put it in main.

> 	I think we should relax the modification requirement for
>  anything that happens not to be a software programs
>  documentation. (even standards should be acceptable is they allow
>  modification with name changes/ patches)

I disagree.  If it doesn't meet our criterions of free-ness, we do not put
it in main.  Most of the documents we are likely to distribute - manuals,
HOWTOs, FAQs, standards - all benefit from being free.  I have no problems
with those documents which don't benefit from being free - original,
copyright-enforced works of art - going into non-free.

Jules