Re: PROPOSAL: A mechanism for updating Debian Policy documents

Hi,

	I have been thinking about the issues that you raised.
 Traditionally, the policy group, under the aegis of the Policy
 editor, worked on the basis of a consensus derived in the group. This
 proposal merely removes the need of a dedicated policy editor, and
 passes the debian packages that contain the policy into the hands of
 a few people who no longer exercise editorial control, and, paying
 homage to our growth, relaxes the requirement for a consensus.

	This is not supposed to change the way the group works, except
 in minor detail.

	In other words, I am making the tacit assumption that at least
 some policy changes are light weight and can be decided upon within
 the policy group, by near consensus.

	If you wish the proposals to be amended, talk to the proposer,
 and get the amendment in. Or else, post an alternative, and let the
 group decide which one is better.

	If the process gets very contentous, and needs something like
 votes on amendments and withdrawl of proposal, then this is not the
 correct forum for this, and the procedures outlied in the
 constitution should be followed.

	This document is not suppoed to supplant the processes
 outlined in the constitution, nor is it an end run around them.

	This document merely outlines how the policy group can amend
 policy with something we all agree on.

	If you do not agree with this proposal; maybe we should have a
 process defined that would call for the proposal to be shelved, and
 presented to the developers body as a general resolution (or whatever
 the constitution calls them -- the term escaspes me)..

	How about this: If four or more developers call for a hold on
 the proposal, and move to send the proposal to the larger developer
 body as a SRP, then, at the proposers discretion,  the proposal shall
 be sent to the general developers body as a SRP.

	What do you think?

	manoj
--
 Bureau Termination, Law of: When a government bureau is scheduled to
 be phased out, the number of employees in that bureau will double