Re: PROPOSAL: A mechanism for updating Debian Policy documents

Darren Benham <gecko@benham.net> writes:
> On 08-Aug-98 Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >       I think that with the four volunteers that we have already,
> >  all of whom are seasoned veterans, the situation seems to be under
> >  control, and we can let the selection process be as informal as it is
> >  now.
> More or less the way the Technical Committee comes to be when the constitution
> get's ratified..??

The Technical Comittee has a much more important role than the policy
maintainers.  The former are arbitrators and the later are
secretaries.  Choosing policy maintainers on a volunteer basis is
fine.  The technical committee is chosen in a much more formal manner.
You can read details at
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/debian-organisation.html>,
section 6.

Guy