Re: changes and standards documents

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 1998 at 03:18:05PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >
> > 	I think we differ in where we draw the line, and that is
> >  essentially opinion. What do others on the policy list think?
>
> Hello,
>
> I want to add here that it may be essentially opinion, but it is worth to
> note that this opinion has a big impact on our main distribution.
>
> We have promised an entirely free distribution, and that we give back to the
> community. [opinion: it is my opininon that we can give back better when we
> are allowed to improve standards.] So, if we put any non-dfsg-free components
> in main, the result will be quite different from that what we call Debian
> at the moment.

I find marcus' arguments valid.  And, for me, the conclusion is that these
documents do not belong in main.

If someone else wishes to propose a new 'tag' (I already suggested
debian-art, but perhaps debian-doc, although that conflicts with a
packagename) which has the meaning 'Distributable but not modifiable
documentation', and is also on our CDs, then I would probably second that
proposal.

But I still object to something non-free in main.  No matter how well you
can justify why it should be non-free, I do not see why it should be in
main.

Jules