Re: Why I don't share Manojs fears.

On Fri, Aug 14, 1998 at 10:26:01AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Something to consider: you have gone a ong way towards
>  convincing me that the rename-and-distinguish-if-modified clause is a
>  good thing if one is creating a standard; but what if the author has
>  gone the route of no modifications at all? Is this so egregious that
>  we throw it out of Debian? Why should exeptions be made for licenses
>  (which are in just as great a need to be improved and modified look
>  at NPL, AbiPL, and other GPL knockoffs [which in some way do dilute
>  the GPL, is only psychologically]) but not for standards?  What about
>  non-technical documents, like Graphic novels or any of the other
>  categories?

Perhaps the issue isn't as much what shouldn't be allowed in Debian but more
the specific case of something Debian is working on?  That social contract
and all.

> 	Actually, I am going to make a stand about our Hypocrisy;
>  anything that you have said also applies to Licenses. You want to
>  throw things like the FHS and others out of main, you have to throw
>  out the DFSG, the social contract, and GPL etc out as well

I don't think they should be, any of them.  I don't think the DFSG counts
anyway since it's not a license.  Licenses are not change-able for a reason.
That's IP issues, not free software issues IMO.  A standards document should
be allowed to be unmodifyable, same with a license.

Am I making any sense?