Re: What RMS says about standards (was: [rms@gnu.org: Re: Questions regarding free documentation.]

On Sat, Aug 15, 1998 at 11:30:11PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	Because I think that it is in the interests of Debian to
> >  distribute even verbatim documents as part of the
> >  distribtution. Remember, we havbe not even covered teh other sets of
> >  verbatim documents (personal opinions, stories, amgzines, graphic
> >  novels). It is not clear why we should necesarily throw it all out of
> >  our distribution.
>
> I don't know about you, but I like to be able to point to a debian cd and
> say, "You can modify any of the stuff on here to your hearts content, with
> no restricton whatsoever. You can use it however you desire. (Well, er,
> except those nasty copyright documents themselves.)"

:)  Yes, well, this is why I want vendors to ship the non-free stuff on a
seperate CD.

The point is, you will never be allowed to remopve the copyright notices.
For example, you'll never be allowed to make emacs print the Artistic
License with C-h C-c [please no clever arguments about chnaging the key
layout and so on].

This restrictions protect our freedom, so they are good.

Thank you,
Marcus