Re: A summary, if an opinionated one

Hi,
>>"Jules" == Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

 Jules> This summary won't be as professional looking as Manoj's are, but I want
 Jules> to condense a few points:
 Jules> 1) Free standards are desirable
 Jules> We seem to more or less all agree on this.

 Jules> 2) Non-free, but still distributable standards, should be distributed

 Jules> The value to debian of including the standards it follows is high.  It
 Jules> outweighs their non-freeness.  This is in some sense analogous to the PGP
 Jules> situation.  The value of PGP outweighs its non-freeness, but we will
 Jules> switch to GPG soon.  Similarly, if and when free standards emerge which
 Jules> replace our non-free ones, we will switch.

 Jules> 3) Free licenses are desirable

 Jules> Although there are some protections in law, in some countries
 Jules> (possibly all)

	Definitely not all, the united states for one does not grant
 any special protection to license documents.

 Jules> which allow derived licenses in some way, there seems to be no
 Jules> reason not to make this explicit.  Therefore, we should
 Jules> encourage free licenses.  Perhaps we should try to persuade
 Jules> RMS that GPL3 should be free.

 Jules> 4) We *must* distribute licenses with our software

 Jules> So non-free licenses are going to be in main, to the extent that they
 Jules> accompany software.

__> egrep 'COPYING|GPL'  /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list | wc -l
     34
__> ls -1 /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.list | wc -l
   1376

	Most packages merely refer to /usr/doc/copyright/GPL; which is
 shipped separately in base-files. I think base-files can be split to
 allow a required copyrights package that goes in verbatim. I see no
 reason to give that package a special dispensation.

 Jules> So, I see a clear similarity between the two situations.  And
 Jules> I suggest that standards which are non-free do not go into
 Jules> main, but go somewhere else, yet to be determined.

 Jules> We must now, IMO, consider the issue of 'free content', and
 Jules> whether or not debian distributes what I shall call 'works of
 Jules> art', and if so, in which section.

	I thought we were leaning towards verbatim.

	manoj

--
 Life in this society being, at best, an utter bore and no aspect of
 society being at all relevant to women, there remains to civic-minded