Re: license distribution issues (was Re: Manoj, why are you suggesting to infringe the copyright law?)

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>  That merely demonstrates that you do not know these standards. UNIX98
>  goes way beyond POSIX. For example, POSIX does not know about select.
>  UNIX98 does. In the threads domain, there are other considerations as
>  well.

So?

UNIX98 can be replaced with a larger standard with some work by us,
the vendors.  GPL can't.

>  Raul> but it's not legal to replace license documents.
>
>  Not at all. When you say a standard maybe replaced, you mean the the
>  people following a standard may choose to follow anohter, or that the
>  two standards produce similar requirements. Similarily, the author
>  can choose to replace a license with another.

Only the author of the code can change the license.  As people putting
together a distribution we can decide to adopt a new standard, and we
can patch packages where necessary so that they meet that standard.

Apples and oranges.

>  In both cases, the owner of the entity chooses to adopt one standard,
>  or the other; or use one license, or the other. The person who owns
>  the software makes the decision; the vendors (us) can't in either
>  case.

You're saying that we can't, for example, patch programs so that
they're FHS compliant?

> 	If DIGITAL UNIX follows POSIX; you can't just say, oh, well,
>  they follow UNIX98, because thay would be a lie.

DIGITAL is an example of a vendor.

>  Raul> I think that this means that these are two distinct issues.
>
> 	In the light of the above, I think you need to rethink this.

I don't follow your line of reasoning at all.  Perhaps you could
spell things out a bit more clearly?

Thanks,

--
Raul