Re: What RMS says about standards (was: [rms@gnu.org: Re: Questions regarding free documentation.]

Hi,

 Santiago> On 19 Aug 1998 john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
 >> Manoj writes:
 >> > I beg to disagree with this assesment. I was under the
 >> > imprtession that we were moving towards the verbatim solution; with
 >> > allowances being made to ensure that licenses were distributed with
 >> > the software that required them.
 >>
 >> I thought that we had pretty much agreed on verbatim but that there was
 >> still some disagreement as to whether it should viewed as part of main.
 >> I think it should.

 Santiago> IMHO, if verbatim is part of main then there is no "verbatim" as such.

	True.

 Santiago> I think we could live having the GPL and other
 Santiago> non-modifiable documents in main, without the need to
 Santiago> create another section for them.

 Santiago> Our current promise about main is: "All the *software* in
 Santiago> main comply with the DFSG".  We can extend this promise to
 Santiago> something like: "All the documents non-directly related to
 Santiago> software in main comply with the DDG" [to be written].
 Santiago> and then we would not need any additional section.

	I can live with that. I won't agree to throwing the FSSTND and
 the GPL into non-free (if there is a gpl_2.0-1_all.deb). Or contrib.

	manoj
--
 Those who are mentally and emotionally healthy are those who have
 learned when to say yes, when to say no and when to say