Re: /etc/adjtime, /etc/timezone, etc.

Hi,
>>"Santiago" == Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

 Santiago> Ok, I will answer myself :-) I have found a paragraph in
 Santiago> the packaging manual providing the rationale for not making
 Santiago> conffiles certain files. However, the given rationale is
 Santiago> not enough when the conffile is always the same, so I have
 Santiago> just submitted a bug against debian-policy asking for more
 Santiago> rationale and/or a clarification. [ hope this is the right
 Santiago> thing to do ].

	Is it possible then to handle the situation totally in the
 postinst? The example you give is a default file that *has* to be
 changed, or else. How about not shipping the file in the pakage at
 all; and having the postinst create it (with user input, if needed)
 if it does not exist?

	In general, one may have /usr/doc/<package>/conffile.example.gz;
 and the postinst merely copies and unzips as needed. Bingo. No
 machine modification of conffiles required. And since the file is not
 part of the package, nothing overwrites it.

	The postrm can delete the file on purge.

	manoj
--
 I'd like to meet the guy who invented beer and see what he's working
 on now.