Re: non-free packages should document/advise about alternatives

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999 Kristoffer.Rose@ENS-Lyon.FR wrote:

> Now Corel would want to follow the Debian Policy out of respect for Debian,
> naturally, but also because if they do they know that their non-free
> package will remain functional even if a new version of Debian is released.
>
> At this point they read that the Corel wp.deb description file must propose
> free alternatives to WordPerfect ... rather silly, right?

On the contrary, Corel simply ignore this point of policy.

Policy is for *us* to follow.  Third-party developers are *encouraged* to
follow policy, but not required.  Since this particular point might annoy
them, they don't follow it.  Fine by me.

Jules