Re: Software in main that is throughly useless without non-free software

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 03, 1999 at 12:25:21PM -0700, Chris Waters wrote:
> > > There is NOTHING on your system that is non-free which icq depends on to
> > > run, is there?
> >
> > This is the point under contention.  Does it matter whether a required
> > non-free component is on your system?  If a package *requires* a
> > non-free server, should that package go in contrib?  (My personal
> > feeling is yes, but I don't feel strongly about it.)
>
> No software which connects over tcp requires any software at the other
> end.

It doesn't what's it connecting to?  Direct Brain Interface Hardware (TM)?

> If you have documentation of the protocol used you don't require any
  ^^
> particular server, free of not.  This has been pointed out.

a) that's a big `If'
b) at some stage there was documentation for motif, but no lesstif.
   Would motif linked programs have been suitable for main because it
   was a documented protocol which one could replace?

--
James