Re: xlib6g and xfree86-common

On Thu, Jun 03, 1999 at 04:43:57PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> That's all it has to provide, because that is the functionality that
> xlib6g provides. The (presumed) point of separating xlib6g from
> xfree86-common is that xfree86-common is not platform specific. If
> Branden merged the packages, would you be happy? (Branden, I'm not
> suggesting you do so.)

xfree86-common provides stuff that should be present on a machine with the
X libraries installed, OR with an X server installed.

There is stuff in xlib6g that is not platform-specific, like the XKB, NLS,
and locale data.

Santiago is upset because he is forced to install stuff that has to do with
X on his console-only machine.  What he's actually unhappy with is the
long-standing policy that Debian packages that CAN be configured with X
support MUST be configured with X support.

As I said before, an xlib6g-dummy package would probably address what is
actually peeving him (and it would make some other people happy as well),
but I don't think it would stop him from complaining about how I have
handled the XFree86 packages.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |   Any man who does not realize that he is
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   half an animal is only half a man.