Some comments on policy 3.0.0.0 proposal (1999-06-29)

2.1.7. Subsections

"The packages in the _main_, _contrib_,
and _non-free_ sections are grouped further into _subsections_ to
simplify handling of them".

This is also true for "non-US", I think ?

2.3.2. The maintainer of a package

"If the maintainer of a package quits from the Debian project the
Debian QA Group takes over the maintainership"

Could the email address for "Debian QA Group" fit here ?

3.3.1. Introduction

"The names of the links all have the form `S<mm/<script>>' or
`K<mm/<script>>'"

4.5. Symbolic links

"In general, symbolic links within a toplevel directory ..."

Toplevel directories are not clearly defined.  Do we consider /boot/
to be part of "toplevel directories" for this purpose ?  What about
/usr/X11R6/ ?

4.7. Configuration files

"Only packages that are tagged _conflicting_ with each other may
specify the same file as `conffile'"

I did run into problems when I tried to "share" the /etc/kbd/* files
(of which "config" is a conffile) between kbd and console-tools,
although they are conflicting packages.  I think we should investigate
whether this exception should be dropped.

5.5. Web servers and applications

"Html documents for a package are stored in /usr/share/doc/<package>
and can be referred to as http://localhost/doc/<package>/<filename>"

I thought this as a default behaviour had been flagged as a security
flaw and disabled (I had to re-enable it in apache).

5.6. Mail transport agents

"The mail spool is `/var/spool/mail'"

Is this really necessary ?  exim uses another one
(/var/spool/exim/input/ IIRC) and I don't think it breaks anything but
the policy here.

--
Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org>