package sectinos

The topic of package sections has apparently come up once more on
debian-devel. It seems everyone agrees that the current method of
putting packages in one of 10 or so sections is not good enough for
the huge amount of packages we have accumulated.

There have been proposals of using keywords to make it easy to search
for packages, and people suggesting that we make the sections more
hierarchical and add subsections.

However with the new menu-system as introduced by Joost I was wondering
if we could use his dynamic menu system for packages as well? We could
use our existing sections, perhaps add a second hierarchy level and use
keywords in the same way the menu system uses hints?

Joost, can you give this some thought to see if this would be useful?

Wichert.

E-Mail: wichert@cs.leidenuniv.nl