Re: /var/lib, /var/mail

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 01:39:14PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I think I am beginning to think that the formal objection
>  clause is a mistake. Here you are, cutting off any discussion on
>  this, no effort to seek a compromise, just a flat, uncompromising
>  ultimatum that shall kill any move on this matter just because you
>  disagree.

I was not aware that a formal objection is a veto (let's face it, the
policy guidelines are poorly worded, as they read like a proposal,
with "perhaps we should"'s everywhere and with little structure to
help digesting the thing).  I agree such a clause is bad.  I was more
thinking of the "dissenting opinion" convention used in formal meetings,
where the record will show that I was against such a move, should the
motion pass anyway.

My position on the original matter is unchanged.  Things one must not
do must not be sanctioned by policy: I must be able to trust the policy
documents to be an accurate description of what I can and should do.
I will not veto a violation of this principle but I will be demanding
that my dissenting opinion be entered into whatever records we keep on
Policy amendments.

   "... memory leaks are quite acceptable in many applications ..."
    (Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)