Re: objection! [was Re: Icon and pixmap location]

On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 04:09:13PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Branden Robinson writes:
> > > Well, then, we immediately throw away the advantage that a single directory
> > > name gives us.
[snip]
> My biggest objection is that we haven't yet got any kind of proposal for
> subdivision of /usr/share/images.  Who wants to come up with one?  Hint: it
> would be best if we didn't have to hack every window manager in existence
> to support it, and if we didn't have to modify window managers' config
> files everytime a new package containing images was installed or removed.
Just off the top of my head: (And not that I'd know about window manager
support, but..)

/usr/share/images/icons (small images meant as window decoration,
desktop-style icons, or button bitmaps)

/usr/share/images/backgrounds (possibly larger images meant as window or
desktop background, etc.)

Probably not the best thing in the world, and people would be free to put
things in /usr/share/images, but the idea's there.

-- Ferret no baka