Re: version-number-comparison algorithm dox confusion in Debian Packaging Manual 3.1.1.0

>>"A" == Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:

    A> Don't suppose you'd have a suggestion for a better way of wording it?

I will give you one if you can explain to me what it should try to convey:

Upstream-version starting with a digit:   mandatory, recommended, or neither?

If `recommended', when?  why?

Ditto with debian-revision.

During comparison of non-digit strings, the empty string always
compares less than a nonempty string: true or false?

During comparison of digit strings, the empty string compares equal to
"0": true or false?  (this one seems clear already: true)

To help me in case I missed a question:  is the behavior of `dpkg
--compare-versions' correct by definition?