Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

Hi,
>>"Wichert" == Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

 Wichert>  `Enhances'
 Wichert>    This field is similar to Suggests but works in the opposite
 Wichert>    direction. It is used to declare that a package can enhance
 Wichert>    the functionality of another package.

 Wichert>    `dselect' will offer a list of packages that enhance a package if
 Wichert>    the enhanced package is selected for installation.

        I have some reservations about the practical nuances of this
 change. In the current model, the package that is being enhanced
 knows about and keeps track of the packages that can enhance it, in
 the proposed model the package that does the enhancing needs to keep
 track of the packages enhanced.

        I see both these as legitimate, and non-congruent sets of
 attributes. It may be helpful if one wrote an add-on enhancement to a
 big package (like emacs), and say that ones package enhances the
 other package, regardless of whether the other package is DFSG free
 or not.

        I do notthink it correct for emacs to suggest EUDC, but it is
 quite appropriate for EUDC to say it enhances emacs.

        I think that we should have a method by which a package may
 register enhance/suggest relationships with the system, and
 the system be changed *not* to display the target unless the the
 appropriate category is sleected.

        The problem we are trying to solve here is not showing the
 non-free packages to people who have not consciously made an effort
 to select the non-free category.

        The solution lies in displaying and acting on the suggestion,
 not in coercing enhances to do this (unnatural) task.

        This solution was not seen as legitimate in the past since it
 involves changing dpkg, but hey, as Wichert says, the times they are
 a changing.

        As it stands, I agree to the enhanced proposal, but would
 object strongly to using enhances to remove mention of non-free
 packages from main (we should do it in dselect, dpkg, and apt; with
 the pacjkages not displaying non-free packages unless specifically
 told).

        I understand that a quick fix shall enable the FSF to
 distribute Debian (Yay!), but I would rather we do it right, not that
 we be coerced by political correctness.

        manoj
--
 A Los Angeles judge ruled that "a citizen may snore with immunity in
 his own home, even though he may be in possession of unusual and