Re: [PROPOSED] Change package relations policy to remove references to non-free from main

Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"Wichert" == Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:
>
>  Wichert> Yes and no. It's actually a nice addition to the current sent of
>  Wichert> relations since we had no way for this kind of reverse relation.
>
>         I agree.

As do I.

>  Wichert>                                        If we put weaken
>  Wichert> Suggest or create a new weaker version of it we don't do
>  Wichert> that since we still tell people that there are non-free
>  Wichert> packages that can improve things.
>
>         For gods, sake, there's your answert. Do not *SHOW* people the
>  non-free package, or ever allude to t in any UI. Have dpkg and
>  dselect and apt not offer non-free package, unless told. That is what
>  you *WNAT* to do. These hacks being propsed here are, IMHO, grotesque.

Last time this came up, I suggested we use a new tag in the Suggests
line like:

 Suggests: xv (non-free)

Then UIs can be coded to _not_ show non-free items in the list unless
told to.

>         I would strongly oppose any dilution of technical design for
>  the sake of religion. Espescially since the only thing preventing us
>  from the right solution seems to be, well, laziness.

I agree with Manoj.

--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada