Re: PW#5-5: Standardized handling of /etc/init.d script options

[I'm replying to debian-policy since this is of public intrest, I think.
Hope you don't mind.]

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 14-Jan-1998 10:40:14, Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> wrote:
> >
> > No, I don't think so. Listing unsupported options in the `syntax' line
> > would just confuse the sysadmin.
> >
> > If everyone else agrees with me on that point, I'll add a small note to
> > the actual policy text about how the `syntax' line should look like.
>
> The only one which might not be supported is 'reload'. It might be nice
> to have the 'syntax' line call out that reload isn't supported:
>
> Usage: cern-httpd start|stop|restart|force-reload
> 	NOTE: reload is unsupported
>
> (Not that cern-httpd can't support reload, it's just an example).

I'm not sure this is necessary. How do the others think about this?

> On another note, what about things like cron, which don't *need* reload --
> it tracks its conffiles, and reads them whenever they change. Should it
> just implement reload and force-reload as no-ops?

Yes, I think this would be best. (Some admins might not know this and try
to run /etc/init.d/cron reload, so it's best if it simply does nothing.)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/